Good news! The dragon illustration is complete and the second illustration has begun. The second illustration will depict a sword of power similar to Excalibur. I will keep you updated on any developments.
The illustration process for my new fantasy book has begun. My new illustrator is working surprisingly fast. This morning, she provided the rough sketch of the general shape of the dragon in the story. It was just as I envisioned it. If the rough sketch is this good, I cannot wait until the final version comes out. I will keep you updated on any new developments. Wish me luck!
As mentioned in a previous post, I will be featuring an illustration in my next fantasy book that depicts my own version of a dragon. The dragon in question will have two wings and two legs like the image above. However, the look of the head, neck, and tail will be different.
The face of the dragon will resemble this image, which will give it a beastly yet eerily intelligent look to it. I also like the goatee-shaped spike sprouted from the tip of its chin. Plus, the scaly lips reminds me of Draco from Dragonheart.
The dragon’s horns will resemble the image above along with the mane running down the back of its neck. I like the curvature of the horns and the mane will give the dragon a similar look to a horse’s mane. This will be fitting since my protagonist’s family is a family of dragon riders.
The dragon’s tail will resemble the image above, but the tip of the tail will be different.
The tip of the tail will resemble the image above, which will be similar in shape to the fluke of a dolphin or whale.
Overall, these images are like pieces to a puzzle that the illustrator will use to create the dragon illustration. They provide a rough and basic idea of what my dragon will look like.
I have special news to report. It looks as though I have located a potential illustrator for my new fantasy books. When I reach a certain point in the manuscript, I will contact him and make the necessary arrangements. I will keep you updated on any developments. Wish me luck!
My fictional species of Stegosaur is called Lappadon or “Thorn Tooth”. I gave it this name because it has no back plates like the original Stegosaurs. Instead, it has lots of spikes, which makes it like an oversized porcupine or hedgehog.
My fictional species of raptor is called the Sanguraptor or “Blood Thief.” I gave it this name to highlight its bloodthirsty and sadistic nature. If Hannibal Lector or Jack the Ripper was a dinosaur, they would be this creature.
Now that The Kaligen Experiment is out, allow me to properly introduce you to my fictional dinosaurs. This fictional species of Therizinosaur is called Tesseranychus or the “Knuckle Claw.” I partially drew inspiration from the real life Therizinosaur known as Nothronychus. As a whole, Therizinosaurs look like oversized turkeys. Therefore, when I envisioned Tesseranychus, I decided for it to be even more turkey-like in appearance.
The latest illustration for The Kaligen Experiment has been completed. It is a fictional species of small ornithopod similar to Dryosaurus or Othnielia. While it has the same body plan as Dryosaurus, it has a pair of fang-like tusks in its upper jaw, which gives it a vampire-like appearance. I got the idea from Heterodontosaurus, which has teeth that resembled canine fangs. I also drew inspiration for the tusks from the real life vampire deer. To highlight this creature’s bird heritage, I wanted it to be more heavily feathered than normal. The name of this animal translates as “Hickory Lizard”.
Another breed of armored dinosaur I included in The Kaligen Experiment was a fictional species of Ankylosaur. When brainstorming its appearance, I based its physical structure on that of the prehistoric armadillo, Doedicurus, which had similar adaptations to Ankylosaurus. Its head is based on Psittacosaurus, but more heavily armored. The name of this beast translates as “Kernel Lizard”.
During the Cretaceous Period, hadrosaurs or duck-billed dinosaurs served as a staple in the diets of several carnivores such as raptors and Tyrannosaurs. While writing The Kaligen Experiment, I decided to create a dinosaur that served the same role as the hadrosaurs of old. Like the other dinosaurs in the series, this herbivore is a fictional species of my own design. I envisioned it to have the head of Edmontosaurus, the head crest of Saurolophus, the nasal crest from the unused Malusaurus from Jurassic World, the thumb spikes of Iguanodon, and the back sail of Ouranosaurus. In order to symbolize its status as a new species of hadrosaur, this creature’s name translates as “New Duck”.